NMHIC Service Details
Core HIE Services:
- NMHIC HIE Clinical Portal – access to patient’s centralized record.
- Includes Clinical Data Repository, Enterprise Master Patient Index, Privacy & Consent Management, and HIPAA Auditing.
- Hospitalization Events Notifications - provides notifications when a patient is admitted or discharged, seen in the ED, or when clinical results are available.
- Send to My EMR – The HIE user can send a patient summary (Continuity of Care Document, i.e., CCD) to their electronic health record from the HIE. (Configuration is required.)
- Direct Secure Messaging (DSM) (Link to DSM section) – NMHIC’s Direct Secure Messaging is an easy-to-use, fast and secure electronic communication service for clinical providers and others who regularly transmit and/or receive protected health information (PHI).
- eHealth Exchange Gateway (Sequoia Project) (Link to eHealth section) – Access to the eHealth Exchange Network to exchange patient information with other HIEs and federal agencies such as the Veterans Administration, Indian Health Services and Social Security Administration.
- Workflow Integration Services—We offer optional workflow integration services, such as single sign on, send to my EMR, Query retrieval, custom event notifications, consent flag automation via ADT messages, and mobile applications to make it easier to use the HIE.
- Single Sign On—NMHIC HIE provides single sign-on capabilities enabling individual applications within existing information systems to be accessed seamlessly with a single login. Comprehensive and robust security features ensure that users are only granted access to certain information or applications based on their level of access. The user is able to toggle between the NMHIC HIE screen and local EMR screen to access patient information. SSO may be integrated into organization’s Electronic Health Record (EHR) system for improved workflow.
- Query Retrieve / Pull Technology – The Health Information Exchange can support a query and retrieve function to allow your EHR to pull down a record from the HIE.
- Consent Flag Automation – To avoid manually setting the consent flag in the HIE, the consent to view the HIE may be sent by the EHR via ADT interface (if the EHR is already used to manage consents).
- Mobile Applications – The portal can be viewed on a tablet or other mobile device.
- Public Health Reporting – NMHIC has been authorized to provide Reportable Lab Results reporting and Syndromic Surveillance reporting to NM Department of Health for New Mexico hospitals.
- Interface Connectivity Assistance – NMHIC HIE offers assistance to review current clinical systems and details, types of interfaces that are currently in production or are planned to be in production, and will be interfaced to NMHIC. HL7 message types, HL7 versions and the use of required code sets.
- End-User Training –The initial Train-the-Trainer approach includes training for all roles, including clinical and support end-users, system administrator, consent management, and audit log review. However, there may be the need for additional training for continued accurate use of NMHIC HIE for eHealth Data User clinical, operational, and administrative staff.
- Privacy and Security Services–The NMHIC HIE allows for secure access by authorized users. Participating providers are also required to meet the rigorous Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) regulations and Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health (HITECH) Act privacy and security standards, as well as comply with applicable New Mexico requirements. NMHIC HIE offers services to assist users comply with regulatory requirements, such as risk assessment and analysis, policy and procedure review and development and training.
- Audit Services– All Authorized eHealth Data Users are required to audit Authorized Users within their own organization, in accordance with HIPAA Privacy requirements. NMHIC is available to provide audit monitoring services to our client.